Frequently Asked Questions

I am a high school student interested in Urban Studies. Can I apply directly to the program after high school?

No, you can only apply to our program after you have completed 4.0 credits (typically after your first year at U of T). There are also specific first-year courses you must complete before you are eligible to apply.

Which courses do I need to take in first year before I apply for the program?

Consult the Urban Studies entry requirements in the Faculty of Arts & Science Calendar for the year you are applying. The Urban Studies Program can be found under the Innis College program area. You will be considered based on your grades in the required courses. If you have more questions, contact the program coordinator.

If I don't quite have 100-level POL, SOC, ECO, or GGR courses for the program entry requirement, will you consider other Social Science courses?

Yes, we sometimes approve upper year POL, SOC, ECO, or GGR or introductory courses from other social science disciplines, however these are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Not all social science courses are accepted towards entry requirements.

What grades do I need in the entry requirements in order to get into the program?

The Urban Studies Program is a competitive-entry program. The grades required for entry to the program vary from year to year depending on the applicant pool. To ensure that students admitted to the program will be successful, applicants with a combined grade average lower than 70% in the required courses will not be considered for admission. Please note that obtaining this minimum grade average does not guarantee admission to the program. Please consult the program coordinator for more information.

Can I use a first-year seminar course to meet the program entry requirement?

No, we do not accept first-year seminar courses.

I have completed all the entry requirements. How do I apply to the program?

Follow the instructions listed in the Sidney Smith Commons Program Toolkit for Type 2 programs.

When can I apply to the program?

There is a program enrolment period each year which spans from March to September. Within this program enrolment period, there are two request periods. The first request period (typically from March to April) is for students who will have completed entry requirements by the end of April. The second request period (typically from July to August) is for students who anticipate completing entry requirements by the end of August. For exact dates, see the Sidney Smith Commons website.

I am going on exchange and would like to know if Urban Studies will consider a course I plan to take abroad towards my Urban Studies Minor, Major, or Specialist. How do I go about asking?

Email the program coordinator with the syllabus or course description (only if the syllabus is not available) along with as much information as you can provide, including your student number. It is also helpful if you specify which requirement you would like this course to fulfill.

How do I book an appointment with the program coordinator?

Email programs.innis@utoronto.ca or call 416-946-7107 during business hours.